Make sure to follow these cleaning and preservation tips to adequately clean fruit for eating.
Before applying the Apple Fresh preservation solution, wash all fruit. For best results, use Veggie Crisp and clean to make sure there is a minimal amount of bacteria and fungi on the peelings and outside of the fruit. This will reduce the chance of contamination while preparing the fruit. After your fruit is clean, cut it into any size and shape you desire.
Directions for Preserving Your Clean Fruit
- Pour the ingredients from the Apple Fresh stick pack into the spray bottle provided in the starter kit.
- Fill the bottle with water and shake.
- Spray the apples or other cut fruit liberally with the Apple Fresh Solution until all of the cut surfaces have been covered to clean fruit.
- Allow several minutes for the Apple Fresh to dry.
- Enjoy! Place whatever fruit isn’t consumed in a refrigerator immediately.
Precautions for Preserving Clean Fruit
There is no recommended amount of solution or a recommended number of sprays for specific types of fruits or foods. Too much Apple Fresh won’t damage the fruit or cause it to be unhealthy. Excessive amounts may give the fruit a more tart flavor. However, make sure that the entire surface of the apple or fruit is completely covered with the solution to ensure proper preservation and quality. Here are some other things to consider for clean fruit:
- Make sure counters, cutting boards, and other cutting surfaces are all clean before allowing fruits and other uncontaminated foods to come in contact with those surfaces especially if meat was in contact with those surfaces.
- When cutting fruit, make sure to use a clean knife or cutting utensil.
- Never use a utensil to cut fruit that is rusted.
- Never wash fruit with dish or hand soap. These soaps have cleaning agents that can penetrate fruit skins and remain lodged in the meat of the fruit after they have been rinsed.
- It is not necessary to rinse fruit after applying the Apple Fresh solution.
Clean Fruit and Other Foods
Apples are not the only fruit you can protect with apple fresh. Apply to Pears, Melons, Cantaloupes, Mangoes, Nectarines, Papayas, Peaches, Pineapples, Avocados, and even guacamole. Visit our Apple Fresh page for directions on protecting guacamole from going black.